Treating A Patient With Pruritic, ‘Swollen’ Legs
- Volume 26 - Issue 10 - October 2013
- 4346 reads
- 0 comments
Management of neurodermatitis basically relies on replenishment of the local depletion of cortisol with topical corticosteroids, some form of central sedation to suppress the itch-scratch cycle and prevention of further lesion aggravation with protective dressings.
Dr. Bodman is an Associate Professor at the Kent State University College of Podiatric Medicine. He is a Diplomate of the American Board of Podiatric Medicine. Dr. Bodman is in private practice in Ohio.
1. Ward JR, Bernhard JD. Pruritus. In: Lebwohl M, Heymann WR, et al. (eds): Treatment of Skin Disease. 2nd ed. Mosby Elsevier, St. Louis, 2006, pp. 533-537.
2. Küster W, Petersen M, Christophers E, et al. A family study of atopic dermatitis. Arch Dermatol Res. 1990; 282(2):98-102.
3. Taylor JS, Zirwas MJ, Sood A. Pruritus. Available at http://tinyurl.com/dly5b5 . Published August 2010. Accessed July 29, 2013.
4. Pujol RM, Gallardo F, Llistosella E, et al. Invisible mycosis fungoides: A diagnostic challenge. J Am Acad Dermatol 2002; 47(2Suppl):S167-S171.
5. Nousari CH. Immunofluorescence of vasculitis. Presented at the American Podiatric Medical Association Annual Scientific Meeting, Washington, DC, August 2012.
6. Miller JL, Elston DM, et al. Dermatitis herpetiformis. Available at http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1062640-overview. Published June 24, 2013. Accessed July 29, 2013.
7. Giovanielli KR. Pruritus. In Arndt A, Hsu TS (eds). Manual of Dermatologic Therapeutics, 7th edition, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Philadelphia, 2007.
8. Rayner H, Baharani J, Smith S, et al. Uraemic pruritus: relief of itching by gabapentin and pregabalin. Nephron Clin Pract. 2012; 122(3-4):75-9.
9. Eberlein B, Eicke C, Reinhardt HW, Ring J. Adjuvant treatment of atopic eczema: assessment of an emollient containing N-palmitoylethanolamine (ATOPA study). J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol. 2008 Jan;22(1):73-82.
10. Tey HL, Wallengren J, Yosipovitch G. Psychosomatic factors in pruritus. Clin Dermatol. 2013; 31(1):31-40.
11. Surwit RS, van Tilburg MA, Zucker N, et al. Stress management improves long-term glycemic control in type 2 diabetes. Diabetes Care. 2002; 25(1):30-4.