Should You Use Antimicrobial Dressings On Clean, Uninfected Wounds?
- Volume 26 - Issue 12 - December 2013
- 5971 reads
- 0 comments
1. Arzt H, Fromantin I, Ribinik P, et al. Which medical device and/or which local treatment are to be used, as of 2012, in patients with infected pressure sore? Developing French guidelines for clinical practice. Ann Phys Rehabil Med. 2012; 55(7):498-507.
2. Lipsky BA, Berendt AR, Cornia PB, et al. Executive summary: 2012 Infectious Diseases Society of America clinical practice guideline for the diagnosis and treatment of diabetic foot infections. Clin Infect Dis. 2012; 54(12):1679-84.
3. Lipsky BA, Hoey C. Topical antimicrobial therapy for treating chronic wounds. Clin Infect Dis. 2009; 49(10):1541-9.
4. Hinchliffe RJ, Valk GD, Apelqvist J, et al. A systematic review of the effectiveness of interventions to enhance the healing of chronic ulcers of the foot in diabetes. Diabetes Metab Res Rev. 2008; 24(Suppl 1):S119-44.
5. Hilton JR, Williams DT, Beuker B, et al. Wound dressings in diabetic foot disease. Clin Infect Dis. 2004; 39(Suppl 2):S100-3.
6. Nelson EA, O’Meara S, Golder S, et al. Systematic review of antimicrobial treatments for diabetic foot ulcers. Diabet Med. 2006; 23(4):348-59.
7. Trial C, Darbas H, Lavigne JP, et al. Assessment of the antimicrobial effectiveness of a new silver alginate wound dressing: a RCT. J Wound Care. 2010; 19(1):20-6.
8. Toy LW, Macera L. Evidence-based review of silver dressing use on chronic wounds. J Am Acad Nurse Pract. 2011; 23(4):183-92.
9. Lund-Nielsen B, Adamsen L, Kolmos HJ, et al. The effect of honey-coated bandages compared with silver-coated bandages on treatment of malignant wounds-a randomized study. Wound Repair Regen. 2011; 19(6):664-70.
10. Aziz Z, Abu SF, Chong NJ. A systematic review of silver-containing dressings and topical silver agents (used with dressings) for burn wounds. Burns. 2012; 38(3):307-18.
11. Carter MJ, Tingley-Kelley K, Warriner RA. Silver treatments and silver-impregnated dressings for the healing of leg wounds and ulcers: a systematic review and meta-analysis. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2010; 63(4):668-79.
12. Storm-Versloot MN, Vos CG, Ubbink DT, Vermeulen H. Topical silver for preventing wound infection. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2010; 17(3):CD006478.
13. Bergin SM, Wraight P. Silver based wound dressings and topical agents for treating diabetic foot ulcers. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2006; 25(1):CD005082.
14. O’Meara S, Al-Kurdi D, Ologun Y, Ovington LG. Antibiotics and antiseptics for venous leg ulcers. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2010; 20(1)CD003557.
15. Jull AB, Rodgers A, Walker N. Honey as a topical treatment for wounds. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2008; 8(4):CD005083.
16. Zou SB, Yoon WY, Han SK, et al. Cytotoxicity of silver dressings on diabetic fibroblasts. Int Wound J. 2012; 10(3):306-12.
17. Kempf M, Kimble RM, Cuttle L. Cytotoxicity testing of burn wound dressings, ointments and creams: a method using polycarbonate cell culture inserts on a cell culture system. Burns. 2011; 37(6):994-1000.
18. Atiyeh BS, Hayek SN. The safety and efficacy of dressings with silver - addressing clinical concerns. Int Wound J. 2007; 4(3):283-4.
19. Chopra I. The increasing use of silver-based products as antimicrobial agents: a useful development or a cause for concern? J Antimicrob Chemother. 2007; 59(4):587-90.
20. Percival SL, Woods E, Nutkepor N, et al. Prevalence of silver resistance in bacteria isolated from diabetic foot ulcers and efficacy of silver-containing wound dressings. Ostomy Wound Manage. 2008; 54(3):30-40.
21. White RJ, Cutting K, Kingsley A. Topical antimicrobials in the control of wound bioburden. Ostomy Wound Manage. 2006; 52(8):26-58.
22. Chantelau E, Tanudjaja T, Altenhofer F, et al. Antibiotic treatment for uncomplicated neuropathic forefoot ulcers in diabetes: a controlled trial. Diabet Med. 1996; 13(2):156-9.
23. Robson MC, Mannari RJ, Smith PD, Payne WG. Maintenance of wound bacterial balance. Am J Surg. 1999; 178(5):399-402.
24. Hirschl M, Hirschl AM. Bacterial flora in mal perforant and antimicrobial treatment with ceftriaxone. Chemotherapy. 1992; 38(4):275-80.