Recognizing And Treating Lower Extremity Gout
- Volume 25 - Issue 2 - February 2012
- 19654 reads
- 0 comments
1. Chen LX, Schumacher HR. Gout: an evidence-based review. J Clin Rheumatol. 2008; 14(5Suppl):S55-62.
2. Podiatry Institute Seminar, Portland, OR, Aug. 11-14, 2011.
3. Choi HK, Atkinson K, Karlson EW, et al. Alcohol intake and risk of incident gout in men: a prospective study. Lancet. 2004; 363(9417):1277-81.
4. Choi HK, Mount DB, Reginato AM. Pathogenesis of gout. Ann Intern Med. 2005; 143(7):499-516.
5. Doghramji PP. Managing your patient with gout: A review of treatment options. Postgraduate Medicine. 2011; 123(3):56-71.
6. Janssens HJ, Fransen J, van de Lisdonk EH, et al. A diagnostic rule for acute gouty arthritis in primary care without joint fluid analysis. Arch Intern Med. 2010; 170(13):1120-1126.
7. Pelaez-Ballestas I, Hernandez Cuevas C, Burgos-Vargas R, et al. Diagnosis of chronic gout: Evaluating the American College of Rheumatology Proposal, European League Against Rheumatism Recommendations, and clinical judgment. J Rheumatol. 2010; 37(8):1743-1748.
8. Montgomery M. Gout: tips on diagnosis, treatment and patient education. Nurse Pract. 2008; 33(12):28-32.
9. Welch G. Weinger K, Barry MJ. Quality-of-life impact of lower urinary tract symptom severity: Results from the Health Professionals Follow-up Study. Urology. 2002; 59(2):245-250.
10. Graser A, Johnson TR, Bader M, et al. Dual energy CT characterization of urinary calculi: initial in vitro and clinical experience. Invest Radiol. 2008; 43(2):112-119.
11. Scalapino JN, Edwards WD, Steckelberg JM, et al. Mitral stenosis associated with valvular tophi. Mayo Clin Proc. 1984; 59(7):509-512.
12. Zhang W, Doherty M, Bardin T, et al. EULAR evidence based recommendations for gout. Part II: Management. Report of a task force of the EULAR Standing Committee For International Clinical Studies Including Therapeutics (ESCISIT). Ann Rheum Dis. 2006; 65(10):1312-1324.
13. Pascual E, Batlle-Gualda E, Martinez A, et al. Synovial fluid analysis for diagnosis of intercritical gout. Ann Intern Med. 1999; 131(10):756-759.
14. Stamp LK, Jordan S. The challenges of gout management in the elderly. Drug Aging. 2011; 28(8):591-603.
15. Nuki G, Simkin P. A concise history of gout and hyperuricemia and their treatment. Arthritis Res Ther. 2006; 8(Suppl1):S1.
16. Singh D, Huston KK. IL-1 inhibition with anakinra in a patient with refractory gout. J Clin Rheumatol. 2009; 15(7):366.
17. So A, DeSmedt T, Revaz S, Tschopp J. A pilot study of IL-1 inhibition by anakinra in acute gout. Arthritis Res Ther. 2007; 9(2):R28.
18. So A, De Meulemeester M, Pikhlak A, et al. Canakinumab for the treatment of acute flares in difficult-to-treat gouty arthritis: Results of a multicenter, phase II, dose-ranging study. Arthritis Rheum. 2010; 62(10):3064-3076.
19. Pascual E, Sivera F. Therapeutic advances in gout. Curr Opin Rheumatol. 2007; 19(2):122-27.
20. Schumacher HR Jr, Becker MA, Wortmann RL, et al. Effects of febuxostat versus allopurinol and placebo in reducing serum urate in subjects with hyperuricemia and gout: a 28-week phase III randomized, double-blind, parallel-group trial. Arthritis Rheum. 2008; 15:59(11):1540-8.
21. Ernst ME, Fravel MA. Febuxostat: A selective xanthine-oxidase/xanthine-dehydrogenase inhibitor for the management of hyperuricemia in adults with gout. Clin Ther. 2009; 31(11):2503-2518.
22. Barber C, Thompson K, Hanly JG. Impact of rheumatology consultation service on the diagnostic accuracy and management of gout in hospitalized patients. J Rheumatol. 2009; 36(8):1699-1704.
23. Schlesinger N. Diagnosis of gout: Clinical, laboratory, and radiologic findings. Am J Manag Care. 2005; 11(Suppl 15):S443-S450.
24. Mandell BF, Edwards NL, Sundy JS, et al. Preventing and treating acute gout attacks across the clinical spectrum: A roundtable discussion. Cleve Clin J Med. 2010; 77(Suppl 2):S2-S25.
Editor’s note: For further reading, see “Managing Gout In The Lower Extremity” in the May 2009 issue of Podiatry Today or “Study Says Poor Footwear Is Common In Gout Patients” in the “News And Trends” section of the November 2011 issue.