Preventing Falls In The Elderly: Where DPMs Can Have An Impact
1. Rogers LC, Andros G, Caporusso J, Harkless LB, Mills JL Sr, Armstrong DG. Toe and flow: essential components and structure of the amputation prevention team. J Am Podiatr Med Assoc. 2010; 100(5):342-8.
2. Hausdorff JM, Rios DA, Edelberg HK. Gait variability and fall risk in community-living older adults: A 1-year prospective study. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2001; 82(8):1050-56
3. Tinetti ME, Speechley M, Ginter SF. Risk factors for falls among elderly persons living in the community. N Engl J Med. 1988; 319(26):1701-7.
4. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Falls among older adults: An overview. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/HomeandRecreationalSafety/Falls/adultfalls.html . Accessed February 25, 2011.
5. Stevens JA, Corso PS, Finkelstein EA, Miller TR. The costs of fatal and non-fatal falls among older adults. Inj Prev. 2006; 12(5):290-95.
6. Schneider EL, Guralnik JM. The aging of America. Impact on health care costs. JAMA. 1990; 263(17):2335-40.
7. Falls prevention for the elderly. Balzer K, Bremer M, Schramm S, Lühmann D, Raspe H. GMS Health Technol Assess. 2012; 8:Doc01. Epub 2012 Apr 12.
8. Deandrea S, Lucenteforte E, Bravi F, Foschi R, La Vecchia C, Negri E. Risk factors for falls in community-dwelling older people: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Epidemiology. 2010; 21(5):658-68.
9. Mahoney J, Sager M, Dunham NC, Johnson J. Risk of falls after hospital discharge. J Am Geriatr Soc. 1994; 42(3):269-74.
10. Woolcott JC, Richardson KJ, Wiens MO, Patel B, Marin J, Khan KM, et al. Meta-analysis of the impact of 9 medication classes on falls in elderly persons. Arch Intern Med. 2009; 169(21):1952-60.
11. Helfand AE. Foot impairment—an etiologic factor for falls in the aged. J Am Pod Assoc. 1966; 56(7):326–330.
12. Lord SR, Clark RD, Webster IW. Postural stability and associated physiological factors in a population of aged persons. J Gerontol. 1991; 46(3):M69–M76.
13. Menz HB, Lord SR. Foot problems, functional impairment, and falls in older people. J Am Podiatr Med Assoc. 1999; 89(9):458–467.
14. Menz HB, Lord SR. Foot pain impairs balance and functional ability in community-dwelling older people. J Am Podiatr Med Assoc. 2001; 91(5):262–268.
15. Menz HB, Lord SR. The contribution of foot problems to mobility impairment and falls in older people. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2001; 49(12):1651–1656.
16. Menz HB, Morris ME, Lord SR. Foot and ankle characteristics associated with impaired balance and functional ability in older people. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2005; 60(12):1546–1552.
17. Menz HB, Morris ME, Lord SR. Foot and ankle risk factors for falls in older people: a prospective study. J Gerontol. 2006; 61A(8):866–870.
18. Mickle KJ, Munro BJ, Lord SR, Menz HB, Steele JR. Toe weakness and deformity increase the risk of falls in older people. Clinical Biomechanics. 2009; 24(10):787–791.
19. Munro BJ, Steele JR. Foot-care awareness. A survey of persons aged 65 years and older. J Am Podiatr Med Assoc 1998; 88(5):242–248.
20. Mickle KJ, Munro BJ, Lord SR, Menz HB, Steele JR. Foot pain, plantar pressures, and falls in older people: a prospective study. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2010; 58(10):1936–1940.
21. Koepsell TD, Wolf ME, Buchner DM, et al. Footwear style and risk of falls in older adults. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2004; 52(9):1495–1501.
22. Sherrington C, Menz HB. An evaluation of footwear worn at the time of fall-related hip fracture. Age Ageing. 2003; 32(3):310-4.
23. Menz HB, Morris ME, Lord SR. Footwear characteristics and risk of indoor and outdoor falls in older people. Gerontology. 2006; 52(3):174–80
24. Menant JC, Steele JR, Menz HB, Munro BJ, Lord SR. Optimizing footwear for older people at risk of falls. JRRD. 2008; 45(8):
25. Tiedemann A, Lord SR, Sherrington C. The development and validation of a brief performance-based fall risk assessment tool for use in primary care. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2010; 65(8):896–903.