Point-Counterpoint: Triple Arthrodesis: Is It The Standard Of Care For Hindfoot Reconstructions?
- Volume 24 - Issue 1 - January 2011
- 21035 reads
- 0 comments
Given the considerations outlined above, I would argue that triple arthrodesis is not the obvious standard of care for the treatment of hindfoot pathology. Rather, triple arthrodesis is a component of the treatment algorithm for patients presenting with rearfoot deformities, pathology or pain.
Dr. Hendrix is a Fellow of the American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons, and is board certified by the American Board of Podiatric Surgery and the American Academy of Wound Management. He is in private practice at Mid-South Foot and Ankle Specialists in Tennessee.
1. Klaue K. Hindfoot issues in the treatment of cavovarus foot. Foot Ankle Clin. 2008; 13(2):221-7, vi.
2. Lamm BM, Paley D. Deformity correction planning for hindfoot, ankle and lower limb. Clin Podiatr Med Surg. 2004; 21(3):305-26, v.
3. Sen C, Kocaoglu M, Eralp L, Cinar M. Correction of ankle and hindfoot deformities by supramalleolar osteotomy. Foot Ankle Int. 2003; 24(1):22-28.
4. Grant AD, Atar D, Lehman WB. The Ilizarov technique in correction of complex foot deformities. Clin Orthop Rel Res. 1992; 280:94-103.
5. Sullivan RJ, Aronow MS. Different faces of the triple arthrodesis. Foot Ankle Clin. 2002; 7(1):95-106.
6. Simon SR, Tejwani SG, Wilson DL, Santner TJ, Denniston NL. Arthrodesis as an early alternative to nonoperative management of Charcot arthropathy of the diabetic foot. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2000; 82-A(7):939-50.
7. Child BJ, Hix J, Catanzariti AR, Mendicino RW, Saltrick K. The effect of hindfoot realignment in triple arthrodesis. J Foot Ankle Surg. 2009; 48(3):285-93.
8. Mäenpää H, Lehto MU, Belt EA. What went wrong in triple arthrodesis? An analysis of failures in 21 patients. Clin Orthop Rel Res. 2001; 391:218-23.
9. Saltzman CL, Fehrle MJ, Cooper RR, Spencer EC, Ponseti IV. Triple arthrodesis: 25- and 44-year average follow-up of the same patients. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1999; 81(10):1391-1402.
10. Donatto KC. Arthritis and arthrodesis of the hindfoot. Clin Orthop Rel Res. 1998; 349:81-92.