Point-Counterpoint: Do AFOs Have A Role In Fall Prevention?
- Volume 26 - Issue 10 - October 2013
- 7868 reads
- 2 comments
1. Blake AJ, Morgan K, Bendall MJ, Dallosso H, Ebrahim SB, Arie TH, Fentem PH, Bassey EJ. Falls by elderly people at home: prevalence and associated factors. Age Aging. 1988; 17(6):365-372.
2. Lord SR, Ward JA, Williams P, Anstey KJ. An epidemiological study of falls in older community-dwelling women: the Randwick falls and fractures study. Aust J Public Health 1993; 17(3):240-254.
3. Tinetti ME, Speechley M, Ginter SF. Risk factors for falls among elderly persons living in the community. N Engl J Med 1988; 319(26):1701-1707.
4. Lord SR. Falls in the elderly: admissions, bed use, outcome and projections. Med J Aust. 1990; 153(2):117-118.
5. Speechley M, Tinetti ME. Falls and injuries in frail and vigorous community elderly persons. J Am Geriatr Soc. 1991; 39(1):46–52.
6. Granacher U, Muehlbauer T, Gollhofer A, Kressig RW, Zahner L. An intergenerational approach in the promotion of balance and strength for fall prevention – a mini-review. Gerontology. 2011; 57(4):304–315.
7. Lord SR, Sherrington C, Menz HB. Falls in Older People: Risk Factors and Strategies for Prevention. 2nd ed. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, 2007.
8. Spink MJ, Fotoohabadi MR, Wee E, Hill KD, Lord SR, Menz HB. Foot and ankle strength, range of motion, posture, and deformity are associated with balance and functional ability in older adults. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2011; 92(1):68-75.
9. Wallmann HW. The basics of balance and falls. Home Health Care Management Practice 2009; 21:436-439.
10. Sturnieks D, Menant J, Delbaere K, et al. Force-controlled balance perturbations associated with falls in older people: a prospective cohort study. PLoS ONE. 2013; 8(8):1-6.
11. Menz HB, Hill KD. Podiatric involvement in multidisciplinary falls-prevention clinics in Australia. J Am Pod Med Assoc. 2007; 97(5):377-384.
12. Barr E, Browning C, Lord S, Menz HB, Kendig H. Foot and leg problems are important determinants of functional status in community dwelling older people. Disabil Rehabil. 2005; 27(16):917–923.
13. Spink MJ, Menz HB, Fotoohabadi MR, et al. Effectiveness of a multifaceted podiatry intervention to prevent falls in community dwelling older people with disabling foot pain: randomised controlled trial. Br Med J. 2011; 342:1-8.
14. Menz HB, Lord S. Foot pain impairs balance and functional ability in community- dwelling older people. J Am Pod Med Assoc. 2001; 91(5):222-229.
15. Menz HB, Lord S. The contribution of foot problems to mobility impairment and falls in community-dwelling older people. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2001; 49(12):1651-1656.
16. Menz HB, Lord S. Gait instability in older people with hallux valgus. Foot Ankle Int. 2005; 26(6):483-489.
17. Menz HB, Lord SR. Foot pain impairs balance and functional ability in community-dwelling older people. J Am Podiatr Med Assoc. 2001; 91(5):222-229.
18. Menz HB, Morris ME, Lord S. Foot and ankle characteristics associated with impaired balance and functional ability in older people. J Gerontology A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2005; 60(12):1546-1552.
19. Mickle KJ, Munro BJ, Lord S, Menz HB, Steele JR. Toe weakness and deformity increase the risk of falls in older people. Clinical Biomechanics. 2009; 24(10):787-791.
20. Mickle KJ, Munro BJ, Lord S, Menz HB, Steele JR. Foot pain, plantar pressures, and falls in older people: a prospective study. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2010; 58(10):1936-1940.
21. Mickle KJ, Munro BJ, Lord S, Menz HB, Steele JR. Cross-sectional analysis of foot function, functional ability, and health-related quality of life in older people with disabling foot pain. Arthritis Care & Research. 2011; 63(11):1592-1598.
22. Mickle KJ, Munro BJ, Lord S, Menz HB, Steele JR. Gait, balance and plantar pressures in older people with toe deformities. Gait & Posture. 2011; 34(3):347–351.
23. Lord SR, Menz HB, Tiedemann A. A physiological profile approach to falls risk assessment and prevention. Physical Therapy. 2003; 83(3):237-252.
24. Shumway-Cook A, Brauer S, Woollacott M. Predicting the probability for falls in community-dwelling older adults using the Timed Up & Go Test. Phys Ther. 2000; 80(9):896-903.