Point-Counterpoint: Acute Achilles Tendon Repair: Is The Mini-Open Approach Better Than An Open Approach?
- Volume 25 - Issue 8 - August 2012
- 5227 reads
- 0 comments
1. Twaddle BC, Poon P. Early motion for Achilles tendon ruptures: Is surgery important? A randomized, prospective study. Am J Sports Med. 2007;35(12):2033-2038.
2. Willits K, Amendola A, Bryant D, et al. Operative versus nonoperative treatment of acute Achilles tendon ruptures: a multicenter randomized trial using accelerated functional rehabilitation. J Bone Joint Surg. 2010;92(17):2767-2775.
3. Metz R, Verleisdonk EJ, van der Heijden GJ, et al. Acute Achilles tendon rupture: minimally invasive surgery versus nonoperative treatment with immediate full weightbearing-a randomized controlled trial. Am J Sports Med. 2008;36(9):1688-1694.
4. Wallace RG, Heyes GJ, Michael AL. The non-operative functional management of patients with a rupture of the tendo Achillis leads to low rates of re-rupture. J Bone Joint Surg. 2011;93(10):1362-1366.
5. Carmont MR, Rossi R, Scheffler S, et al. Percutaneous and mini invasive Achilles tendon repair. Sports Med Arthrosc Rehabil Ther Technol. 2011:3:28-36.
6. Ma GW, Griffith TG. Percutaneous repair of acute closed ruptured Achilles tendon: a new technique. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1977;128:247-255.
7. Majewski M, Rohrbach M, Czaja S, et al. Avoiding sural nerve injuries during percutaneous Achilles tendon repair. Am J Sports Med. 2006:34(5):793-798.
8. Cretnik A, Kosanovic M, Smrkoli V. Percutaneous versus open repair of the ruptured Achilles tendon: a comparative study. Am J Sports Med. 2005;33(9):1369-1379.
9. Calder JD, Saxby TS. Independent evaluation of a recently described Achilles tendon repair technique. Foot Ankle Int. 2006:27(2):93-96.
10. Ismail M, Karim A, Shulman R, et al. The Achillon Achilles tendon repair: is it strong enough? Foot Ankle Int. 2008:29(8):808-813.
11. Talbot JC, Williams GT, Bismil Q, et al. Results of accelerated postoperative rehabilitation using novel “suture frame” repair of Achilles tendon rupture. J Foot Ankle Surg. 2012;51(2):147-151.
12. Suchak AA, Bostick GP, Beaupre LA, et al. The influence of early weight-bearing compared with non-weight-bearing after surgical repair of the Achilles tendon. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2008:90(9):1876-1883.
For further reading, see “Current Concepts In Treating Achilles Tendon Ruptures” in the September 2009 issue of Podiatry Today, “How To Address The Neglected Achilles Tendon Rupture” in the November 2011 issue or the DPM Blog “A Closer Look At The Three-Knot Layered Krackow Achilles Repair” at http://goo.gl/xoG4C .