A Guide To Shoe Gear Selection Following A Transmetatarsal Amputation
- Volume 24 - Issue 8 - August 2011
- 18054 reads
- 0 comments
1. Warren R, Crawford ED, Hardy IB, McKittrick JB. The transmetatarsal amputation in arterial deficiency of the lower extremity. Surgery. 1952; 31(1):132-140.
2. Pedersen HE, Day, AJ. The transmetatarsal amputation in peripheral vascular disease. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1954; 36-A(6):1190-1198.
3. McKittrick JB, Root HF, Wheelock FC. Evaluation of the transmetatarsal amputation in patients with diabetes mellitus. Surgery. 1957; 41(2):184-189.
4. Rosendahl S. Transmetatarsal amputation in diabetic gangrene. Acta Orthop Scand. 1972; 43(1):78-83.
5. Levy SE. Total contact restoration prosthesis for partial foot amputations. J Am Podiatr Assoc. 1960; 50:887-896.
6. Bauman JH, Girling JP, Brand PW. Plantar pressures and trophic ulceration. An evaluation of footwear. J Bone Joint Surg. 1963; 45:652-673.
7. Garbalosa JC, Cavanagh PR, Wu G, Ulbrecht JS, Becker MB, Alexander IJ, Campbell JH. Foot function in diabetic patients after partial amputation. Foot Ankle Int. 1996; 17(1):43-48.
8. Mueller MJ, Strube MJ. Therapeutic footwear: enhanced function in people with diabetes and transmetatarsal amputation. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 1997; 78(9):952-956.
9. Mueller MJ, Strube MJ, Allen BT. Therapeutic footwear can reduce plantar pressures in patients with diabetes and transmetatarsal amputation. Diabetes Care. 1997; 20(4):637-641.
10. Mueller M, Strube M, Allen B. Effect of six types of footwear on peak plantar pressures in patients with diabetes and transmetatarsal amputation. Clin Biomech. 1997; 12(3):S3.
11. Kelly VE, Mueller MJ, Sinacore DR. Timing of peak plantar pressure during the stance phase of walking. A study of patients with diabetes mellitus and transmetatarsal amputation. J Am Podiatr Med Assoc. 2000; 90(1):18-23.
12. Praet SF, Louwerens JW. The influence of shoe design on plantar pressures in neuropathic feet. Diabetes Care. 2003; 26(2):441-445.
13. Tang SF, Chen CP, Chen MJ, Chen WP, Leong CP, Chu NK. Transmetatarsal amputation prosthesis with carbon-fiber plate: enhanced gait function. Am J Phys Med Rehabil. 2004; 83(2):124-130.
14. Schaff PS, Cavanagh PR. Shoes for the insensitive foot: the effect of a “rocker bottom” shoe modification on plantar pressure distribution. Foot Ankle. 1990; 11(3):129-140.
15. Nawoczenski DA, Birke JA, Coleman WC. Effect of rocker sole design on plantar forefoot pressures. J Am Podiatr Med Assoc. 1988; 78(9):455-460.
16. Schade VL. Emerging insights on adjunctive procedures with transmetatarsal amputations. Podiatry Today. 2010; 24(3):22-28.
For further reading, see “Emerging Insights On Adjunctive Procedures With Transmetatarsal Amputations” in the March 2010 issue of Podiatry Today, “A Guide To Transmetatarsal Amputations In Patients With Diabetes” in the July 2006 issue, “Current Considerations In Performing Transmetatarsal Amputations” in the February 2011 issue or “When Is Amputation The Salvage Procedure?” in the March 2010 issue.