Dry skin, interdigital fissuring and forefoot plantar hyperkeratosis are all signs and symptoms that may predispose patients to forefoot ulcerations. A diabetic lower extremity examination may seem routine but documenting and addressing these seemingly small changes may deter the devastating effects of peripheral neuropathy. Moisture balance therapy, accommodative shoe gear and routine diabetic foot care remain important factors in the preventative care of the diabetic population.
Essential Principles In Treating Diabetic Forefoot Ulcers
- Volume 26 - Issue 8 - August 2013
- 10002 reads
- 0 comments
24. Werner S, Grose R. Regulation of wound healing by growth factors and cytokines. Physiol Rev. 2003;83(3):835–870.
25. LoGerfo FW, Coffman JD. Vascular and microvascular disease of the foot in diabetes. Implications for foot care. N Engl J Med. 1984;311(25):1615-9.
26. Vaalamo M, Leivo T, Saarialho-Kere U. Differential expression of tissue inhibitors of metalloproteinases (TIMP-1, -2, -3, and -4) in normal and aberrant wound healing. Human Pathol. 1999;30(7):795–802.
27. Flynn MD, Tooke JE. Aetiology of diabetic foot ulceration: a role for the microcirculation? Diabetic Medicine. 1992;9(4):320-329.
28. Snyder R, Kirsner R, Warriner R, Lavery L, Hanft J, Sheehan P. Consensus recommendations on advancing the standard of care for treating neuropathic foot ulcers in patients with diabetes. Ostomy Wound Manage. 2010;56(4 Suppl):S1-24.
29. Markuson M, Hanson D, Anderson J, Langemo D, Hunter S, Thompson P, et al. The relationship between hemoglobin A(1c) values and healing time for lower extremity ulcers in individuals with diabetes. Adv Skin Wound Care. 2009;22(8):365-372.
30. Spravchikov N, Sizyakov G, Gartsbein M, Accili D, Tennenbaum T, Wertheimer E. Glucose effects on skin keratinocytes: implications for diabetes skin complications. Diabetes. 2001;50(7):1627–1635.
31. Game FL, Hinchliffe RJ, Apelqvist J, Armstrong DG, Bakker K, Hartemann A, et al. A systematic review of interventions to enhance the healing of chronic ulcers of the foot in diabetes. Diabetes Metab Res Rev. 2012;28(suppl 1):119–141.
32. Weiner RD, Hlad LM, McKenna DR. Recurrence of diabetic pedal ulcerations following tendo-achilles lengthening. Diabet Foot Ankle. 2011;2. doi: 10.3402/dfa.v2i0.6417 Epub 2011 May 11.
33. Gordon KA, Lebrun EA, Tomic-Canic M, Kirsner RS. The role of surgical debridement in healing of diabetic foot ulcers. Skinmed. 2012;10(1):24–26.
34. Steed DL. Debridement. Am J Surg. 2004;187(5A):71S-74S.
35 Lipsky BA, Peters EJ, Senneville E, et al. Expert opinion on the management of infections in the diabetic foot. Diabetes Metab Res Rev. 2012;28(Suppl 1):163–178.
36. Bus SA. Priorities in offloading the diabetic foot. Diabetes Metab Res Rev. 2012;28 Suppl 1:54-9.
37. Wu SC, Crews RT, Armstrong DG. The pivotal role of offloading in the management of neuropathic foot ulceration. Curr Diab Rep. 2005;5(6):423– 429.
38. Armstrong DG, Short B, Espensen EH, Abu-Rumman PL, Nixon BP, Boulton AJ. Technique for fabrication of an “instant total-contact cast” for treatment of neuropathic diabetic foot ulcers. J Am Podiatr Med Assoc. 2002;92(7):405–408.
39. Lavery LA, Vela SA, Lavery DC, Quebedeaux TL. Reducing dynamic foot pressures in high-risk diabetic subjects with foot ulcerations: a comparison of treatments. Diabetes Care. 1996;19(8):818–821.
40. Ghanassia E, Villon L, Thuan Dit Dieudonné JF, Boegner C, Avignon A, Sultan A. Long-term outcome and disability of diabetic patients hospitalized for diabetic foot ulcers: a 6.5-year follow-up study. Diabetes Care. 2008;31(7):1288-92.
41. Frykberg RG, Lavery LA, Pham H, Harvey C, Harkless L, Veves A. Role of neuropathy and high foot pressures in diabetic foot ulceration. Diabetes Care. 1998;21:1714–1719.
42. Faglia E, Favales F, Morabito A. New ulceration, new major amputation, and survival rates in diabetic subjects hospitalized for foot ulceration from 1990 to 1993: a 6.5-year follow-up. Diabetes Care. 2001;24:78–83, 2001.
43. Bus SA, Haspels R, Busch-Westbroek TE. Evaluation and optimization of therapeutic footwear for neuropathic diabetic foot patients using in-shoe plantar pressure analysis. Diabetes Care. 2011; 34(7):1595–1600.
44. Cavanagh PR, Bus SA. Off-loading the diabetic foot for ulcer prevention and healing. J Vasc Surg. 2010;52(Suppl.):37S–43S.
45. Armstrong DG, Nguyen HC, Lavery LA, Schie CH, Boulton AJ, Harkless LB. Off-loading the diabetic foot wound: a randomized clinical trial. Diabetes Care. 2001;24:1019–1022.
46. Zou D, Mueller MJ, Lott DJ. Effect of peak pressure and pressure gradient on sub- surface shear stresses in the neuropathic foot. J Biomech. 2007;40(4):883-90.