Essential Insights On Treating Retrocalcaneal Exostosis
- Volume 22 - Issue 11 - November 2009
- 40258 reads
- 0 comments
Surgeons should not hastily decide to perform a retrocalcaneal exostectomy with reflection, debridement and reattachment of the tendo-Achilles. The procedure requires a significant postoperative recovery period and is associated with several dreaded postoperative complications. I have found the modified surgical approach, as described above, to be a simple, reproducible and reliable surgical procedure when it is indicated.
Dr. Downey is the Chief of the Division of Podiatric Surgery at Penn Presbyterian Medical Center in Philadelphia. He is also a Senior Faculty Member of the Podiatry Institute.
Dr. Burks is a Fellow of the American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons, and is board-certified in foot and ankle surgery. He is in private practice in Little Rock, Ark.
For further reading or to get information on reprints, visit www.podiatrytoday.com.
1. Cicchinelli LD. Another approach to posterior heel surgery. In: Update 2002: The Proceedings of the Annual Meeting of the Podiatry Institute. Podiatry Institute, Tucker, Ga., 2002, pp. 46-51.
2. Downey MS, Kalish S. Surgical excision and repair of calcification of the tendo-Achilles. In McGlamry ED, McGlamry R (eds.): Doctors Hospital Podiatric Education and Research Institute - Surgery of the Foot and Leg 1986. Podiatry Institute Publishing Company, Tucker, Ga., 1986, pp. 134-139.
3. Downey MS, Kalish S. Surgical excision and repair of calcification of the tendo Achilles. In Ruch JA, Vickers NS (eds.): Reconstructive Surgery of the Foot and Leg - Update ‘92. Podiatry Institute Publishing Company, Tucker, Ga., 1992, pp. 85-88.
4. Downey MS. Retrocalcaneal exostectomy with reattachment of tendo-Achilles: a modified approach. In Miller SJ, Mahan KT, Yu GV, Camasta CA, Vickers NS (eds.): Reconstructive Surgery of the Foot and Leg - Update ‘98. Podiatry Institute, Tucker, Ga., 1998, pp. 88-94.
5. Fowler A, Philip JF. Abnormality of the calcaneus as a cause of painful heel: its diagnosis and operative treatment. Br J Surg 32:494-498, 1945.
6. Sundberg SB, Johnson KA. Painful conditions of the heel. In Jahss MH (ed.): Disorders of the Foot and Ankle - Medical and Surgical Management, 2nd ed., Vol. 2. WB Saunders, Philadelphia, 1991, pp. 1382-1395.