Essential Insights On The Medial Slide Calcaneal Osteotomy
- Volume 26 - Issue 5 - May 2013
- 7463 reads
- 0 comments
In addition, the medial slide calcaneal osteotomy utilizes the same incision as the osteotomy, decreasing the need to make a separate incision for screw fixation at the posterior heel. Although further prospective randomized clinical trials are needed, early weightbearing may be possible with the use of locking plate fixation for medial slide calcaneal osteotomies.
Dr. Cook is the Director of Podiatric Medical Education at University Hospital at the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey in Newark, N.J. He is a Fellow of the American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons.
Dr. Labib is the Chief Resident within the Podiatric Residency Program at University Hospital at the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey in Newark, N.J.
1. Koutsogiannis E. Treatment of mobile flat foot by displacement osteotomy of the calcaneus. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 1971; 53(1):96-100.
2. Mann R, Thompson F. Rupture of the posterior tibial tendon causing flat foot. J Bone Joint Surg. 1985; 67(4):556-561.
3. Abbasian A, Zaidi R, Guha A, Goldber A, Cullen N, Singh D. Comparison of three different fixation methods of calcaneal osteotomies. Foot Ankle Int. 2013; 34(3):420-5.
4. Greene D, Thompson M, Gesink D, Graves S. Anatomic study of the medial neurovascular structures in relation to calcaneal osteotomy. Foot Ankle Int. 2001; 22(7):569-571.
5. Haddad S, Mann R. Flatfoot deformity in adults. In Coughlin M, Mann R, Saltzman C (eds). Surgery of the Foot and Ankle. Eighth edition. Mosby Elsevier, Philadelphia, 2007, pp. 2158-2180.
6. Bolt P, Coy S, Toolan B. A comparison of lateral column lengthening and medial translational osteotomy of the calcaneus for the reconstruction of adult acquired flatfoot. Foot Ankle Int. 2007; 28(11):1115-1123.
7. Konan S, Meswania J, Blunn G, Madhav R, Oddy M. Mechanical stability of a locked step-plate versus single compression screw fixation for medial displacement calcaneal osteotomy. Foot Ankle Int. 2012; 33(8):669-674.