Emerging Insights On Negative Pressure Wound Therapy
- Volume 26 - Issue 8 - August 2013
- 8030 reads
- 0 comments
1. Fleischmann W, Strecker W, Bombelli M, Kinzl L. Vacuum sealing as treatment of soft tissue damage in open fractures. Der Unfallchirurg 1993; 96(9):488-92.
2. Argenta LC, Morykwas MJ. Vacuum-assisted closure: a new method for wound control and treatment: clinical experience. Ann Plast Surg. 1997; 38(6):553-62.
3. Morykwas MJ, Faler BJ, Pearce DJ, Argenta LC. Effects of varying levels of subatmospheric pressure on the rate of granulation tissue formation in experimental wounds in swine. Ann Plast Surg. 2001; 47(5):547-51.
4. Venturi ML, Attinger CE, Mesbahi AN, Hess CL, Graw KS. Mechanisms and clinical applications of the vacuum-assisted closure (VAC) device. Am J Clin Dermatol. 2005; 6(3):185-94.
5. DeFranzo AJ, Argenta LC, Marks MW, Molnar JA, David LR, Webb LX, Ward WG, Teasdall RG. The use of vacuum-assisted closure therapy for the treatment of lower-extremity wounds with exposed bone. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2001; 108(5):1184-91.
6. Armstrong DG, Lavery LA. Diabetic Foot Study Consortium. Negative pressure wound therapy after partial diabetic foot amputation: a multicentre, randomised controlled trial. Lancet. 2005; 366(9498):1704-10.
7. Blume PA, Walters J, Payne W, Ayala J, Lantis J. Comparison of negative pressure wound therapy using vacuum-assisted closure with advanced moist wound therapy in the treatment of diabetic foot ulcers: a multicenter randomized controlled trial. Diabetes Care. 2008;31(4):631-6.
8. Blume PA, Key JJ, Thakor P, Thakor S, Sumpio B. Retrospective evaluation of clinical outcomes in subjects with split-thickness skin graft: comparing VAC therapy in and conventional therapy in foot and ankle reconstructive surgeries. Int Wound J. 2012; 7(6):480-7.
9. Scherer LA, Shiver S, Chang M, Meredith W, Owings JT. The vacuum assisted closure device: a method of securing skin grafts and improving graft survival. Arch Surg. 2002; 137(8):930-3.
10. Gomoll A, Lin A, Harris M. Incisional vacuum-assisted closure therapy. Journal of Orthopaedic Trauma. 2006; 20(10):705-09.
11. Moues CM, Vos MC, Van Den Bemd GJ, Stijnen T, Hovious SE. Bacterial load in relation to vacuum-assisted closure wound therapy: A prospective randomized trial. Wound Rep Regen. 2004; 12(1):11-17.
12. Weed T, Ratliff C, Drake DB. Quantifying bacterial bioburden during negative pressure wound therapy: does the wound VAC enhance bacterial clearance? Ann Plast Surg 2004. 52(3):276-9.
13. Malmsjö M, Ingemansson R, Martin R, Huddleston E. Negative-pressure wound therapy using gauze or open-cell polyurethane foam: similar early effects on pressure transduction and tissue contraction in an experimental porcine wound model. Wound Repair Regen. 2009; 7(2):200-5.
14. Borgquist O, Gustafsson L, Ingemansson R, Malmsjö M. Micro- and macromechanical effects on the wound bed of negative pressure wound therapy using gauze and foam. Ann Plast Surg. 2012; 64(6):789-93.
15. Vuerstaek JD, Vainas T, Wuite J, Nelemans P, Neumann MH, Veraart J. State-of-the-art treatment of chronic leg ulcers: a randomized controlled trial comparing vacuum-assisted closure (V.A.C.) with modern wound dressings. J Vasc Surg 2006; 44(5):1029-37.
16. Philbeck TE, Whittington KT, Millsap MH, Briones RB, Wight DG, Schroeder WJ. The clinical and cost effectiveness of externally applied negative pressure wound therapy in the treatment of wounds in home healthcare Medicare patients. Ostomy Wound Manage. 1999; 45(11):41-50.
17. Armstrong DG, Marston WA, Reyzelman AM, Kirsner RS. Comparative effectiveness of mechanically and electrically powered negative pressure wound therapy devices: a multicenter randomized controlled trial. Wound Repair and Regen. 2012; 20(3):332-41.
18. Giovinco NA, Bui TD, Fischer T, Mills JL, Armstrong DG. Wound chemotherapy by the use of negative pressure wound therapy and infusion. Eplasty. 2010;10: e9.
19. http://spiracur.com/reimbursement/ . Accessed July 1, 2013.
Editor’s note: For further reading, see “A Guide To Current And Emerging NPWT Modalities” in the July 2012 issue of Podiatry Today or “Expert Pointers On Negative Pressure Wound Therapy” in the July 2007 issue.