Emerging Concepts In Cryosurgery For Wart Treatment
- Volume 21 - Issue 11 - November 2008
- 15149 reads
- 0 comments
After the application, the area has a snow-like appearance, which is followed by an area of hyperemia. Blister formation follows with subsequent darkening of the skin. Apply a Band-Aid type dressing and send the patient home with written instructions explaining the procedure.
One would see the patient again in two weeks. Perform surgical debridement to remove the blister and subsequent hyperkeratosis. This should reveal the absence of the wart. In certain cases, one or two more applications may be required to facilitate complete healing.
In my practice, I have found cryosurgery using the CryoPen System to be an effective modality for the treatment of pedal verruca in the majority of cases. The treatment is simple, quick and effective. The majority of patients receive the treatment well.
With all forms of therapy, one must strive for strong patient communication as this plays a key role in managing patient expectations and achieving optimal outcomes. n
Dr. Slavitt is the Chief of the Division of Podiatric Surgery in the Department of Orthopedics at the Northwest Hospital Center in Baltimore, Md. He is a Diplomate of the American Board of Podiatric Surgery and a Fellow of the American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons. Dr. Slavitt is in a group practice in Baltimore.
Dr. Burks is a Fellow of the American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons, and is board-certified in foot and ankle surgery. He is in private practice in Little Rock, Ark.
For related articles, see “Exploring Current Approaches To Plantar Warts” in the December 2006 issue or “Exploring Alternative Treatments For Resistant Warts” in the May 2004 issue.
Also be sure to visit the archives and get reprint information at www.podiatrytoday.com.
1. Lemont H. Exploring current approaches to plantar warts. Podiatry Today 19(12):69-73, December 2006.
2. Bacelieri R, Johnson SM. Cutaneous warts: an evidence-based approach to therapy. American Family Physician, 72(4):647-52, 2005.
3. Dockery GL, Drew GS, Tyring S, Lemont H, Romansky N, Stone S. Getting to the bottom of wart therapy. Podiatry Today 2001; 14 (5 Suppl):1-28.
4. Haas MJ. Cryosurgery using the CryoPen system, lecture notes and personal communications, February 2007.