Current Insights On The Benefits Of Custom Orthoses And AFOs
- Volume 27 - Issue 2 - February 2014
- 3547 reads
- 0 comments
Dr. Najafi is an Associate Professor of Surgery, the Director of the Interdisciplinary Consortium on Advanced Motion Performance (iCAMP), and a faculty member of the Southern Arizona Limb Salvage Alliance (SALSA) at the University of Arizona College of Medicine. He is a Scientific Member of the University of Arizona Center on Aging, an Associate Member of the Arizona Cancer Center, and Advisory Board member of the Arizona Arthritis Center.
Dr. Landorf is a Senior Lecturer and Research Coordinator in the Department of Podiatry and Leader of the Lower Extremity and Gait Studies (LEGS) Program at La Trobe University in Bundoora, Australia.
Dr. Mirkin is board certified in foot surgery by the American Board of Podiatric Surgery and board certified in foot and ankle orthopedics by the American Board of Podiatric Medicine. He is a Fellow of the American College of Foot and Ankle Orthopedics and Medicine, and a Fellow of the American Society of Podiatric Surgeons. Dr. Mirkin is in private practice in Maryland.
1. Najafi B, Wrobel J, Burns J. Mechanism of orthotic therapy for the painful cavus foot deformity. J Foot Ankle Res. 2014, in press.
2. Najafi B, Crews R, Armstrong DG, Rogers LC, Aminian K, Wrobel J. Can we predict outcome of surgical reconstruction of Charcot neuroarthropathy by dynamic plantar pressure assessment? A proof of concept study. Gait Posture. 2010; 31(1):87-92.
3. Hawke F, Burns J, Radford JA, Du Toit V. Custom-made foot orthoses for the treatment of foot pain. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2008 Jul 16;(3):CD006801.
4. Collins N, Bisset L, McPoil TG, Vicenzino B. Foot orthoses in lower limb overuse conditions: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Foot Ankle Int. 2007; 28(3):396-412.
5. Landorf KB, Keenan AM. Do foot orthoses prevent injury? In MacAuley D, Best T (eds.) Evidence-Based Sports Medicine, Blackwell Publishing, Massachusetts, 2007, p. 73.
6. Landorf KB, Keenan AM, Herbert RD. Effectiveness of foot orthoses to treat plantar fasciitis: a randomized trial. Arch Intern Med. 2006; 166(12):1305-10.
7. Tyson S, Sadeghi-Demneh E, Nester C. A systematic review and meta-analysis of the effect of an ankle-foot orthosis on gait biomechanics after stroke. Clin Rehabil. 2013; 27(10):879-91.
8. Zissimopoulos A, Fatone S, Gard S. The effect of ankle–foot orthoses on self-reported balance confidence in persons with chronic poststroke hemiplegia. Prosthet Orthot Int. 2013; epub ahead of print.
9. Yalla SV, Ortiz J, Crews RT, Najafi B. Balance improvement in older adults using customised ankle foot orthoses. Footwear Science. 2013; 5 (sup1):S119-S120.
For further reading, see “Point-Counterpoint: Do AFOs Have A Role In Fall Prevention?” in the October 2013 issue of Podiatry Today or “Secrets To Fabricating Effective Custom Orthotics” in the June 2004 issue.
For an enhanced online experience, check out Podiatry Today on your iPad or Android tablet.