Current And Emerging Insights On Treating Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy
- Volume 26 - Issue 3 - March 2013
- 13541 reads
- 0 comments
1. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. 2011 National Diabetes Fact Sheet. Available at http://www.cdc.gov/diabetes/pubs/factsheet11.htm .
2. Reiber GE, Vileikyte L, Boyko EJ, et al. Causal pathways for incident lower extremity ulcers in patients with diabetes from two settings. Diabetes Care. 1999; 22(1):157-162.
3. Abbott CA, Carrington AL, Ashe H, et al. The North West Diabetes Foot Care study: incidence of, and risk factors for, new diabetic foot ulceration in a community-based patient cohort. Diabet Med. 2002; 19(5):377-384.
4. Boulton AJ, Kirsner RS, Vileikyte L. Clinical practice. Neuropathic diabetic foot ulcers. N Engl J Med. 2004; 351(1):48-55.
5. Ohshiro Y. Mechanism of diabetic nephropathy: role of protein kinase-C activation. Adv Studies Med. 2005; 5(1A):S11-18.
6. Dyck PJ. Correspondence. Neurology. 2007; 68:796. Joint Task Force of the EFNS and the PNS, J Peripher Nerv Syst. 2010; 15(2):79-82.
7. Dellon L. The Dellon approach to neurolysis in the diabetic patient with chronic nerve compression. Handchir Mikrochir Plast Chir. 2008; 40(6):351-60.
8. Nickerson DS. Low recurrence rate of diabetic foot ulcer after nerve decompression. J Am Podiatr Med Assoc. 2010; 100(2):111-5.
9. Melenhorst WB, Overgoor ML, Houpt P. Nerve decompression surgery as a treatment of peripheral diabetic neuropathy: literature overview and an awareness among medical professionals. Ann Plast Surg. 2009; 63(2):217-221.
10. Zhang W, LI S, Zheng X. Evaluation of the clinical efficacy of multiple lower extremity nerve decompression in diabetic peripheral neuropathy. J Neurol Surg A Cent Eur Neurosurg. 2012 Dec 18th, epub ahead of print.
11. Jablecki CK, Andary MT, So YT, Wilkins DE, Williams FH. Literature review of the usefulness of nerve conduction studies and electromyography for the evaluation of patients with carpal tunnel syndrome. Muscle Nerve. 1993;16(12):1392-1414
12. Dellon AL. The four medial ankle tunnels: a critical review of perceptions of tarsal tunnel syndrome and neuropathy. Neurosurg Clin N Am. 2008; 19(4):629-48.
13. Lee CH, Dellon AL. Prognostic ability of Tinel sign in determining outcome for decompression surgery in diabetic and non diabetic neuropathy. Ann Plast Surg. 2004; 53(6):523-527.
14. Dellon L, Muse V, Scott ND, et al. A positive Tinel sign as predictor of pain relief for sensory recovery after decompression of chronic tibial nerve compression in patients with diabetic neuropathy. J Reconstr Microsurg. 2012; 8(4):235-9.
15. Barking RL. Topical nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs: the importance of drug, delivery, and therapeutic outcome. Am J Ther. 2012 Feb 22, epub ahead of print.
16. Boyd A, Barlow P, Pittenger G, Simmons K, Vinik A. Topiranate improves neurovascular function, epidermal nerve fiber morphology and metabolism in pateints with type 2 diabetes. Diabetes Metab Syndr Obes. 2010; 3:431-37.
17. Gandey A. Treat chronic pain and depression independently. Medscape Medical News. http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/538222 . Published May 19, 2005. Accessed January 31, 2013.
18. Balakumar P, Rohilla A, Krishan P, et al. The multifaceted therapeutic potential of benfotiamine. Pharmacol Res. 2010; 61(6):482-8.
19. Stracke H, Lindeman A, Federlin K. A benfotiamine-Vitamin B combination in treatment of diabetic poly- neuropathy. Exp Clin Endocrinol Diabetes 1996; 104(4):311-6.
20. Hsieh YL, Chou LW, Chang PL, at al. Low-level laser therapy alleviated neuropathic pain and promotes functional recovery in rats with chronic constriction injury: possible involvements in hypoxia-induced factor 1 alpha (HIF-1 alpha). J Comp Neurol. 2012; 520(13): 2903-16.