Can Nerve Fiber Density Testing Facilitate Earlier Treatment Of Diabetic Neuropathy?
1. Beiswenger KK, Calcutt NA, Mizisin AP. Epidermal nerves fiber quantification in the assessment of diabetic neuropathy. Acta Histochema, 2008. In press.
2. Vickova-Moravcoca E, Bednarik J, Dusek L, Toyka KV, Sommer C. Diagnostic validity of epidermal nerve fiber density in painful sensory neuropathies. Muscle Nerve 37(1):50-60, 2008.
3. Walk D, Zaretskaya M, Parry GL. Symptom duration and clinical features in painful sensory neuropathy with and without nerve condition abnormalities. J Neurologic Sci 14(1):3-6, 2003.
4. Ebenezer GJ, Hauer P, Gibbons C, McArthur JC, Polydefkis M. Assessment of epidermal nerve fibers: a new diagnostic and predictive tool for peripheral neuropathies. J Neuropathology Experimental Neurology 66(12):1059-1073, 2007.
5. Polydefkis M. Hauer P, Sheth S, Sidofsky M, Griffin JW, McArthur JC. The time course of epidermal nerve fiber regeneration: studies of the normal controls and in people with diabetes, with and without neuropathy. Brain 127(7):1606-1615, 2004.
6. Hsieh CH, Jeng SF, Lu TH, Chen YC, Hsieh MW, Chen SS. Loss of small fibers in entrapment neuropathy and their regeneration after surgical decompression in a rat model. J Neurotrauma 24(10):1658-1666, 2007.
7. Leonelli E, Bianchi R, Cavaletti G, et al. Progesterone and its derivatives are neuroprotective agents in experimental diabetic neuropathy: a multimodal analysis. Neuroscience 144(4):1293-1304, 2007.
8. Roglio I, Bianchi R, Giatta S, et al. Testosterone derivatives are neuroprotective agents in experimental diabetic neuropathy. Cell Molec Life Sci 64(9):1158-1168, 2007.
9. Hsieh YL, Chiang H, Tseng TJ, Hsieh ST. Enhancement of cutaneous nerve regeneration by4-methylcatechol in resiniferatoxin-induced neuropathy. J Neuropathol Exper Neurol 67(2):93-104, 2008.
10. Quattrini C, Tavakoli M, Jeziorska M, et al. Surrogate markers of small fiber damage in human diabetic neuropathy. Diabetes 569(8):2148-2154, 2007.
11. DeSousa EA, Hays AP, Chin RL, et al. Characteristics of patients with sensory neuropathy diagnosed with abnormal small nerve fibers on skin biopsy. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 77(8):983-985, 2006.
12. Wendelschafer-Crabb G, Kennedy WR, Walk D. Morphological features of nerves in skin biopsies. J Neurolog Sci 242(1 Supp):15-21, 2006.
13. Umapathi T, Tan WL, Loke SC, Soon PC, Tavintharan S, Chan YH. Intraepidermal nerve fiber density as a marker of early diabetic neuropathy. Muscle Nerve 35(5):591-598, 2007.
14. Loseth S, Lindal S, Stalberg E, Mellgren SI. Intraepidermal nerve fiber density, quantitative sensory testing and nerve conduction studies. Eur J Neurol 13(2):105-111, 2006.
15. Walk D, Wendelschafer-Crabb G, Davey C, Kennedy WR. Concordance between epidermal nerve fiber density and sensory examination in patients with symptoms of idiopathic small fiber neuropathy. J Neurolog Sci 255(1):23-26, 2007.
16. Lauria G, Cornblath DR, Johansson O, et al. EFNS guidelines on the use of skin biopsy in the diagnosis of peripheral neuropathy. Eur J Neurol 12(10):747-58, 2005.
17. Shun CT, Chang YC, Wu HP, et al. Skin innervation in type 2 diabetes: correlations with diabetic duration and functional impairments. Brain 127(7):1593-1604, 2004.
18. Umpathi T, Tan WL, Tean NCK, Chan YH. Determinants of epidermal nerve fiber density in normal individuals. Muscle Nerve 33(6):742-6, 2006
19. Chang YC, Lin WM, Hsieh ST. Effects of aging on human skin innervation. Neuro Report 15(1):149-53, 2004.
20. Goransson LG, Mellgren SI, Lindal S, Omdal R. The effect of age and gender on epidermal nerve fiber density. Neurology 62(5):774-7, 2004.
21. Head KA. Peripheral neuropathy: pathogenic mechanisms and alternative therapies. Alt Med Rev 11(4):294-329, 2006.
22. Weiman TJ, Patel VJ, Flint Jr. LM, Vasconez LO. Treatment of hyperesthetic neuropathic pain in diabetics: decompression of the tarsal tunnel. Ann Surg 221(6):660-5, 1995.
23. Wood WA, Wood MA. Decompression of peripheral nerves for diabetic neuropathy in the lower extremity. JFAS 42:268-75, 2003.
24. Hermann DN, Ferguson ML, Pannoni V, Brabano RL, Stanton M, Logigan EL. Plantar nerve AP and skin biopsy and sensory neuropathies with normal routine conduction studies. Neurology 63(5):879-85, 2004.