Can Nerve Fiber Density Testing Facilitate Earlier Treatment Of Diabetic Neuropathy?
- Volume 21 - Issue 12 - December 2008
- 17770 reads
- 0 comments
1. Beiswenger KK, Calcutt NA, Mizisin AP. Epidermal nerves fiber quantification in the assessment of diabetic neuropathy. Acta Histochema, 2008. In press.
2. Vickova-Moravcoca E, Bednarik J, Dusek L, Toyka KV, Sommer C. Diagnostic validity of epidermal nerve fiber density in painful sensory neuropathies. Muscle Nerve 37(1):50-60, 2008.
3. Walk D, Zaretskaya M, Parry GL. Symptom duration and clinical features in painful sensory neuropathy with and without nerve condition abnormalities. J Neurologic Sci 14(1):3-6, 2003.
4. Ebenezer GJ, Hauer P, Gibbons C, McArthur JC, Polydefkis M. Assessment of epidermal nerve fibers: a new diagnostic and predictive tool for peripheral neuropathies. J Neuropathology Experimental Neurology 66(12):1059-1073, 2007.
5. Polydefkis M. Hauer P, Sheth S, Sidofsky M, Griffin JW, McArthur JC. The time course of epidermal nerve fiber regeneration: studies of the normal controls and in people with diabetes, with and without neuropathy. Brain 127(7):1606-1615, 2004.
6. Hsieh CH, Jeng SF, Lu TH, Chen YC, Hsieh MW, Chen SS. Loss of small fibers in entrapment neuropathy and their regeneration after surgical decompression in a rat model. J Neurotrauma 24(10):1658-1666, 2007.
7. Leonelli E, Bianchi R, Cavaletti G, et al. Progesterone and its derivatives are neuroprotective agents in experimental diabetic neuropathy: a multimodal analysis. Neuroscience 144(4):1293-1304, 2007.
8. Roglio I, Bianchi R, Giatta S, et al. Testosterone derivatives are neuroprotective agents in experimental diabetic neuropathy. Cell Molec Life Sci 64(9):1158-1168, 2007.
9. Hsieh YL, Chiang H, Tseng TJ, Hsieh ST. Enhancement of cutaneous nerve regeneration by4-methylcatechol in resiniferatoxin-induced neuropathy. J Neuropathol Exper Neurol 67(2):93-104, 2008.
10. Quattrini C, Tavakoli M, Jeziorska M, et al. Surrogate markers of small fiber damage in human diabetic neuropathy. Diabetes 569(8):2148-2154, 2007.
11. DeSousa EA, Hays AP, Chin RL, et al. Characteristics of patients with sensory neuropathy diagnosed with abnormal small nerve fibers on skin biopsy. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 77(8):983-985, 2006.
12. Wendelschafer-Crabb G, Kennedy WR, Walk D. Morphological features of nerves in skin biopsies. J Neurolog Sci 242(1 Supp):15-21, 2006.
13. Umapathi T, Tan WL, Loke SC, Soon PC, Tavintharan S, Chan YH. Intraepidermal nerve fiber density as a marker of early diabetic neuropathy. Muscle Nerve 35(5):591-598, 2007.
14. Loseth S, Lindal S, Stalberg E, Mellgren SI. Intraepidermal nerve fiber density, quantitative sensory testing and nerve conduction studies. Eur J Neurol 13(2):105-111, 2006.
15. Walk D, Wendelschafer-Crabb G, Davey C, Kennedy WR. Concordance between epidermal nerve fiber density and sensory examination in patients with symptoms of idiopathic small fiber neuropathy. J Neurolog Sci 255(1):23-26, 2007.
16. Lauria G, Cornblath DR, Johansson O, et al. EFNS guidelines on the use of skin biopsy in the diagnosis of peripheral neuropathy. Eur J Neurol 12(10):747-58, 2005.
17. Shun CT, Chang YC, Wu HP, et al. Skin innervation in type 2 diabetes: correlations with diabetic duration and functional impairments. Brain 127(7):1593-1604, 2004.
18. Umpathi T, Tan WL, Tean NCK, Chan YH. Determinants of epidermal nerve fiber density in normal individuals. Muscle Nerve 33(6):742-6, 2006
19. Chang YC, Lin WM, Hsieh ST. Effects of aging on human skin innervation. Neuro Report 15(1):149-53, 2004.
20. Goransson LG, Mellgren SI, Lindal S, Omdal R. The effect of age and gender on epidermal nerve fiber density. Neurology 62(5):774-7, 2004.
21. Head KA. Peripheral neuropathy: pathogenic mechanisms and alternative therapies. Alt Med Rev 11(4):294-329, 2006.
22. Weiman TJ, Patel VJ, Flint Jr. LM, Vasconez LO. Treatment of hyperesthetic neuropathic pain in diabetics: decompression of the tarsal tunnel. Ann Surg 221(6):660-5, 1995.
23. Wood WA, Wood MA. Decompression of peripheral nerves for diabetic neuropathy in the lower extremity. JFAS 42:268-75, 2003.
24. Hermann DN, Ferguson ML, Pannoni V, Brabano RL, Stanton M, Logigan EL. Plantar nerve AP and skin biopsy and sensory neuropathies with normal routine conduction studies. Neurology 63(5):879-85, 2004.