Can Nanotechnology Have An Impact For Patients With Diabetes?
- Volume 22 - Issue 11 - November 2009
- 10803 reads
- 2 comments
There has been a great deal of work specific to nanotechnology for disease states such as diabetes mellitus, infection processes, wound healing applications as well as orthopedic applications. Podiatric physicians should become familiar with nanotechnology and the potential implications this science may have within the specialty of podiatric medicine.
Dr. Smith is in private practice at Shoe String Podiatry in Ormond Beach, Fla.
Dr. Steinberg is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Plastic Surgery at the Georgetown University School of Medicine in Washington, D.C. Dr. Steinberg is a Fellow of the American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons.
1. Health JR, Davis ME, Hood L. Nanomedicine targets cancer. Scientific American 2009; 200(2):44-51.
2. Bottomley K. Nanotechnology for drug delivery: a validated technology? PharmaDeals Review. 2007; 2 1-3.
3. Martinac K, Metelko Z. Nanotechnology and diabetes. Diabetologia Croatica 2005; 34(4):105-110.
4. Fritas RA. Current status of nanomedicine and medical nanorobotics. http://www.nanomedicine.com /Papers/NMRevMar05.pdf accessed June 22, 2009
5. Aaron K. Outsmarting Diabetes. Cornell Engineering Magazine 2003. http://eng-2k-web.engineering.cornell.edu/engrMagazine/magazine.cfm?issu..., accessed June 22, 2009.
6. Pickup JC, Zhi ZL, Kan F, et al. Nanomedicine and its potential in diabetes research and practice. Diabetes Metab Res Rev 2008; 24(8):604-610.
7. Yacoby I, Benhar I. Antibacterial nanomedicine. Nanomed 2008; 3(3): 329-341.
8. Yacoby I, Bar H, Benhar I. Targeted drug-carrying bacteriophages as anti-bacterial nanomedicines. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 2007; 51(6):2156-2163.
9. Hromadka M, Collins JB, Reed C, et al. Nanofiber applications for burn care. J Burn Care Res 2008; 29(5):695-703.
10. Greenhalgh K, Turos E. In vivo studies of polyacrylate nanoparticle emulsions for topical and systemic applications. Nanomed 2009; 5(1):46-54.
11. Merkle R. How long will it take to develop nanotechnology? http://www.zyvex.com/nanotech/howlong.html accessed June 22, 2009.
12. Laurencin CT, Kumbar S, Nukavarapu SP. Nanotechnology and orthopedics: a personal perspective. Rev Nanomed Nanobiotechnol 2009; 1(1):6-10.
13. Pek YS, Gao S, Arshad MS et al. Porous collagen-apatite nanocomposite foams as bone regeneration scaffolds. Biomaterials. 2008; 29(32):4300-5.
14. Harrison BS, Atala A. Carbon nanotube applications for tissue engineering. Biomaterials 2007; 28(2):344-352.