Can Bisphosphonates Lead To Better Charcot Treatment?
- Volume 15 - Issue 1 - January 2002
- 13028 reads
- 0 comments
1. Frykberg RG, Sanders LJ: Charcot Neuroarthropathy of the Foot. In Bowker JH, Pfeifer MA(ed): Levin and O’Neals The Diabetic Foot- 6th ed. St. Louis: Mosby, 2001, pp 439-462.
2. Kirk JK, Spangler JG. Alendronate: A Bisphosphonate for Treatment of Osteoporosis. Am Fam Physician 54:2053-2060, 1996.
3. Gough A, Abraha H, Li F, et al: Measurement of markers of osteoclast and osteoblast activity in patients with acute and chronic diabetic Charcot neuroarthropathy. Diabet Med 14:527-531, 1997.
4. Young MJ, Marshall A, Adams JE, et al: Osteopenia, neurological dysfunction, and the development of Charcot neuroarthropathy. Diabetes Care 18:34-38, 1995.
5. Edmonds ME, Clarke MB, Newton S, Barrett J, Watkins PJ: Increased uptake of bone radiopharmaceutical in diabetic neuropathy. Q J Med 57:843-855, 1985.
6. Package insert. West Point, PA: Merck and Co, Inc., August 1999.
7. Package insert. East Hanover, NJ: Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corporation, July 1999.
8. Selby PL, Young MJ, Boulton AJM: Bisphosphonates: A new treatment for diabetic Charcot neuroarthropathy? Diabet Med 11:28-31, 1994.
9. Guis S, Pellissier JE, Arniaud D, Turck F, Witjas, Roux H, Mattei JP. Healing of Charcot’s joint by pamidronate infusion. J Rheumatol 26(8):1843-50, 1999.
10.Young MJ: The management of neurogenic arthropathy: A tale of two charcots. Diabetes Metab Res Rev 15(1):59-64, 1999.