Prophylactic Foot Surgery In Patients With Diabetes: Is It Worth The Risk?
- Volume 21 - Issue 8 - August 2008
- 12988 reads
- 0 comments
Dr. Steinberg is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Plastic Surgery at the Georgetown University School of Medicine in Washington, D.C. Dr. Steinberg is a Fellow of the American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons.
1. Armstrong DG, Frykberg RG. Classifying diabetic foot surgery: toward a rational definition. Diabet Med. 2003 Apr; 20(4): 329-31.
2. Murray HJ, Young MJ, Hollis S, Boulton AJ. The association between callus formation, high pressures and neuropathy in diabetic foot ulceration. Diabet Med. 1996 Nov; 13(11): 979-82.
3. Armstrong DG, Lavery LA, and Harkless LB. Treatment-based classification system for assessment and care of diabetic feet. J Am Podiatr Med Assoc 1996 86: 311-316.
4. Boulton AJ, Kirsner RS, Vileikyte L. Clinical practice. Neuropathic diabetic foot ulcers. N Engl J Med. 2004 Jul 1; 351(1): 48-55.
5. Giacalone VF, Krych SM, Harkless LB. The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio: experience with foot surgery in diabetics. J Foot Ankle Surg. 1994 Nov-Dec; 33(6): 590-7.
6. Cavanagh PR, Lipsky BA, Bradbury AW, Botek G. Treatment for diabetic foot ulcers. Lancet. 2005 Nov 12;366(9498):1725-35.
7. Busch K and Chantelau E. Effectiveness of a new brand of stock ‘diabetic’ shoes to protect against diabetic foot ulcer relapse. A prospective cohort study. Diabetic Medicine 2003 20(8):665–669.
8. Armstrong DG, Lavery LA, Stern S, Harkless LB. Is prophylactic diabetic foot surgery dangerous? J Foot Ankle Surg. 1996 Nov-Dec;35
9. Tamir E, McLaren AM, Gadgil A, Daniels TR. Outpatient percutaneous flexor tenotomies for management of diabetic claw toe deformities with ulcers: a preliminary report. Can J Surg. 2008 Feb;51(1):41-4.
10. Laborde JM. Neuropathic toe ulcers treated with toe flexor tenotomies. Foot Ankle Int. 2007 Nov;28(11):1160-4.
11. Mueller MJ, Sinacore DR, Hastings MK, Strube MJ, and Johnson JE. Effect of Achilles tendon lengthening on neuropathic plantar ulcers: a randomized clinical trial. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2003;85:1436-1445
12. Piaggesi A, Schipani E, Campi F, Romanelli M, Baccetti F, Arvia C, Navalesi R. Conservative surgical approach versus non-surgical management for diabetic neuropathic foot ulcers: a randomized trial. Diabet Med. 1998 May;15(5):412-7.
13. Armstrong DG, Lavery LA, Vazquez JR, Short B, Kimbriel HR, Nixon BP, Boulton AJ. Clinical efficacy of the first metatarsophalangeal joint arthroplasty as a curative procedure for hallux interphalangeal joint wounds in patients with diabetes. Diabetes Care. 2003 Dec;26(12):3284-7.