Is External Fixation Overutilized In Managing Charcot In The Diabetic Foot?
- Volume 21 - Issue 2 - February 2008
- 36274 reads
- 0 comments
1. De Bastiani G, Aldegheri R and Renzi Brivio L. The treatment of fractures with a dynamic axial fixator. J Bone Joint Surg Br, 66(4): 538-45, 1984.
2. Ilizarov GA, Lediaev VI and Shitin VP. [The course of compact bone reparative regeneration in distraction osteosynthesis under different conditions of bone fragment fixation (experimental study)]. Eksp Khir Anesteziol, 14(6): 3-12, 1969.
3. Ilizarov GA and Ledyaev VI. The replacement of long tubular bone defects by lengthening distraction osteotomy of one of the fragments. 1969. Clin Orthop Relat Res, (280): 7-10, 1992.
4. Fabrin J, Larsen K and Holstein PE. Long-term follow-up in diabetic Charcot feet with spontaneous onset. Diabetes Care, 23(6): 796-800, 2000.
5. Lavery LA, Armstrong DG, Wunderlich RP, Tredwell J and Boulton AJ. Diabetic foot syndrome: evaluating the prevalence and incidence of foot pathology in Mexican Americans and non-Hispanic whites from a diabetes disease management cohort. Diabetes Care, 26(5): 1435-8, 2003.
6. Armstrong DG, Todd WF, Lavery LA, Harkless LB and Bushman TR. The natural history of acute Charcot's arthropathy in a diabetic foot specialty clinic. Diabet Med, 14(5): 357-63, 1997.
7. MK, Sinacore DR, Fielder FA, and Johnson JE. Bone mineral density during total contact cast immobilization for a patient with neuropathic (Charcot) arthropathy. Phys Ther, 85(3): 249-56, 2005.
8. Petrova NL, Foster AV and Edmonds ME. Calcaneal bone mineral density in patients with Charcot neuropathic osteoarthropathy: differences between Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes. Diabet Med, 22(6): 756-61, 2005.
9. Myerson MS, Henderson MR, Saxby T and Short KW. Management of midfoot diabetic neuroarthropathy. Foot Ankle Int, 15(5): 233-41, 1994.
10. Papa J, Myerson M and Girard P. Salvage, with arthrodesis, in intractable diabetic neuropathic arthropathy of the foot and ankle. J Bone Joint Surg Am, 75(7): 1056-66, 1993.
11. Mokdad AH, Ford ES, Bowman BA, Dietz WH, Vinicor F, Bales VS and Marks JS. Prevalence of obesity, diabetes, and obesity-related health risk factors, 2001. JAMA, 289(1): 76-9, 2003.
12. Waters RL Campbell J and Perry J. Energy cost of three-point crutch ambulation in fracture patients. J Orthop Trauma, 1(2): 170-3, 1987.
13. Alvarez RG, Barbour TM and Perkins TD. Tibiocalcaneal arthrodesis for nonbraceable neuropathic ankle deformity. Foot Ankle Int, 15(7): 354-9, 1994.
14. Brodsky JW and Rouse AM. Exostectomy for symptomatic bony prominences in diabetic charcot feet. Clin Orthop Relat Res, (296): 21-6, 1993.
15. Catanzariti AR, Mendicino R and Haverstock B. Ostectomy for diabetic neuroarthropathy involving the midfoot. J Foot Ankle Surg, 39(5): 291-300, 2000.
16. Early JS and Hansen ST. Surgical reconstruction of the diabetic foot: a salvage approach for midfoot collapse. Foot Ankle Int, 17(6): 325-30, 1996.
17. Fabrin J, Larsen K and Holstein PE. Arthrodesis with external fixation in the unstable or misaligned Charcot ankle in patients with diabetes mellitus. Int J Low Extrem Wounds, 6(2): 102-7, 2007.
18. Helm PA, Walker SC and Pullium G. Total contact casting in diabetic patients with neuropathic foot ulcerations. Arch Phys Med Rehabil, 65(11): 691-3, 1984.
19. Pinzur MS. The role of ring external fixation in Charcot foot arthropathy. Foot Ankle Clin, 11(4): 837-47, 2006.
20. Pinzur MS and Kelikian A. Charcot ankle fusion with a retrograde locked intramedullary nail. Foot Ankle Int, 18(11): 699-704, 1997.
21. Rosenblum BI, Giurini JM, Miller LB, Chrzan JS and Habershaw GM. Neuropathic ulcerations plantar to the lateral column in patients with Charcot foot deformity: a flexible approach to limb salvage. J Foot Ankle Surg, 36(5): 360-3, 1997.
22. Schon LC, Easley ME and Weinfeld SB. Charcot neuroarthropathy of the foot and ankle. Clin Orthop Relat Res, (349): 116-31, 1998.
23. Sella EJ and Barrette C. Staging of Charcot neuroarthropathy along the medial column of the foot in the diabetic patient. J Foot Ankle Surg, 38(1): 34-40, 1999.
24. Simon SR, Tejwani SG, Wilson DL, Santner TJ and Denniston NL. Arthrodesis as an early alternative to nonoperative management of charcot arthropathy of the diabetic foot. J Bone Joint Surg Am, 82-A(7): 939-50, 2000.
25. Walker SC, Helm PA and Pullium G. Total contact casting and chronic diabetic neuropathic foot ulcerations: healing rates by wound location.