Assessing The Potential Of Nitric Oxide In The Diabetic Foot
- Volume 19 - Issue 2 - February 2006
- 42576 reads
- 0 comments
1. Cohen R. The role of nitric oxide and other endothelial-derived vasoactive substances in vascular disease. Progress in Cardiovascular Dis. 1995;38(2):105-128.
2. Bulgrin JP, Shabani M, Debshish C, Smith DJ. Nitric oxide synthesis is suppressed in steroid-impaired and diabetic wounds. Wounds: A Comp of Clin Res and Pract. Mar/Apr 1995;7(2):48-57.
3. Pitei DL, Watkins PJ, Edmonds ME. NO-dependent smooth muscle vasodilation is reduced in NIDDM patients with peripheral sensory neuropathy. Diabet Med. 1997;14:284-290.
4 Johnstone MT, Creager SJ, Scales KM, Cusco JA, Lee BK, Creager MA. Impaired endothelium-dependent vasodilation in patients with insulin–dependent diabetes mellitus. Circ. Dec 1993;88(6):2510-2516.
5. Honing MLH, Morrison PJ, Banga JD, Stroes ESG, Rabelink TJ. Nitric oxide availability in diabetes mellitus. Diab Met Rev. 1998;14:241-249.
6. Veres A, Akbari CM, Primavera J, Donaghue VM, Zacharoulis D, Chrzan JS, DeGirolami U, LoGerfo FW, Freeman R. Endothelial dysfunction and the expression of endothelial nitric oxide synthetase in diabetic neuropathy, vascular disease, and foot ulceration. Diabetes. Mar 1998;47:457-463.
7. Jude EB, Boulton AJM, Ferguson MWJ, Appleton I. The role of nitric oxide synthase isoforms and arginase in the pathogenesis of diabetic foot ulcers: possible modulatory effects by transforming growth factor beta 1. Diabetologia. 1999,42:748-757.
8. Schaeffer MR, Tantry U, Efron P, Ahhrendt, GM, Thorton FJ, Barbul A. Diabetes-impaired healing and reduced wound nitric oxide synthesis: A possible pathophysiologic correlation. Surg. 1997:513-529.
9. Schaeffer MR, Tantry U, Van Wesep RA, Barbul A. Nitric oxide metabolism in wounds. J. of Surg Res. 1997;71:25-37.
10. Hibbs JB, Taintor RR, Vavrin Z, Rachlin EM. Nitric Oxide: a cytotoxic activated macrophage effector molecule. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1988;157:87-94.
11. Schaeffer MR, Tantry U, Gross SS, Wasserkrug HL, Barbul A. Nitric oxide regulates wound healing. J. of Surg Res. 1996;63:237-240.
12. Leonard DR, Farooqi MH, Myers S. Restoration of sensation, reduced pain, and improved balance in subjects with diabetic peripheral neuropathy: a double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled study with monochromatic near-infrared treatment. Diabetes Care. Jan 2004;27(1):168-72.
13. Prendergast JJ, Miranda G, Sanchez M. Improvement of sensory impairment in patients with peripheral neuropathy. Endocr Pract. Jan-Feb 2004;10(1):24-30.
14. Kochman AB, Carnegie DH, Burke TJ. Symptomatic reversal of peripheral neuropathy in patients with diabetes. J Am Pod Med Assoc. Mar 2002;92(3):125-130.
15. Yuen KCJ, Baker NR, Rayman G. Treatment of chronic painful diabetic neuropathy with isosorbide dinitrate spray. Diab Care. Oct 2002;25(10):1699-1703.
16. Francis DR, Hubbard ER, Johnson LE. Nitroglycerin ointment as a vasodilator in the lower extremities. JAPMA. Dec 1983;67(12):874-879.
17. Coakley J. Nitroglycerin ointment for dopamine-induced peripheral ischaemia. The Lancet. Jul/Sep 1983;2:633.
18. Wheeland RG, Gilchrist RW, Young CJ. Treatment of ischemic digital ulcers with nitroglycerin ointment. July 1983;9(7):548-551.
19. Kim PJ, Ballinger LC, Kushner D. Nitroglycerin patch dose of 0.2mg/hr does not measurably increase perfusion to the foot in healthy subjects. Submitted to JAPMA 2005.
20. Witte MB, Kiyama T, Barbul A. Nitric oxide enhances wound healing in diabetes. Br J of Surg. 2002,89:1594-1601.
21. Shiu HP, Most D, Efron DT, Witte MB, Barbul A.. Supplemental L-arginine enhances wound healing in diabetic rats. Wound Repair Regen. May-Jun 2003;11(30):198-203.
22. Hobbs AJ, Higgs A, Salvador Moncada. Inhibition of nitric oxide synthase as a potential therapeutic target. Annu Rev Pharmacol Toxicol. 1999;39:191-220.