What You Should Know About Nutrition And Wound Healing
- Volume 17 - Issue 7 - July 2004
- 13945 reads
- 0 comments
Dr. Menzies is a podiatrist in the Diabetic Foot and Wound Clinic at the Hamad Medical Center in Doha, Qatar. He is also the podiatrist for the Qatar National Olympic Committee as he specializes in biomechanics and sports medicine. He is state-registered in the United Kingdom and is a member of the Society of Chiropodists and Podiatrists in the United Kingdom.
1. Aikens JE, Lustman PJ; Chapter 35 Psychosocial and Psychological Aspects of Diabetic Foot Complications, Levin and O’Neal’s The Diabetic Foot.-6th edition; Bowler JH, Pfiefer MA editors, Mosby, 2001.
2. International Working Group on the Diabetic Foot; International Consensus on the Diabetic Foot, p.23, 1999.
3. Wissing U, Lennernas M, Unosson M; Meal Patterns and Meal Quality in Patients with Leg Ulcers; J Hum Nutr Dietet 13:3-12, 2000.
4. Hensrud DD; Nutrition Screening and Assessment; Med Clin N Amer 83 (6)1525-1546; 1999.
5. Demling RH, DeSanti L; The Stress Response to Injury and Infection: Role of Nutritional Support; Wounds 12(1): 3-14, 2000.
6. Zawada ET: Malnutriton in the Elderly: Is it simply a matter of not eating enough?; Postgrad Med 100:207, 1996.
7. Pattison R, Corr J, Ogilvie M, et. al.; Reliability of a Qualitative Screening Tool Versus Physical Measurements in Identifying Undernutrition in an Elderly Population; J Hum Nutr and Dietet 12: 133-140, 1999.
8. Barrocas A, Belcher D, Champagne C, et al; Nutritional Assessment Practical Approaches; Clini Geriatr Med 11:675, 1995.
9. Abu-Rumman PL, Armstrong DG, Nixon BP; Use of Clinical Laboratory Parameters to Evaluate Wound Healing Potential in Diabetes Mellitus; J Am Podiatr Med Assoc 92(1):38-47, 2002.
10. Rostan EF, DeBuys HV, Madey DL et al; Evidence Supporting Zinc as an Important Antioxidant for Skin; International J Derm; 41:606-611, 2002.
11. Nelson M, Poulter J; Impact of Tea Drinking on Iron Status in the UK: a Review; J Hum Nutr Dietet; 17: 43-54, 2004.
12. Demling RH, DeBiasse MA; Micronutrient in Critical Illness; Crit Care Clin 11(3): 651-673, 1995.
13. Stadelmann WK, Digenis AG, Tobin GR; Impediments to Wound Healing; Am J Surg 176(2A): 39S- 47S, 1998.
14. Rojas A, Phillips T; Patients with Chronic Leg Ulcers Show Diminished Levels of Vitamins A and E, Carotenes and Zinc; Dermatol Surg 25: 601-604, 1999.
15. American Diabetes Association; Nutritional Recommendations and Principles for People with Diabetes Mellitus; Diab Care 20(1S): S43-S46, 2000.
16. Shils ME; Modern Nutrition in Health and Disease; 9th ed, Williams & Wilkins, Baltimore MD 1998.
17. Nutritional Sub-Committee of the Diabetes Care Advisory Committee of Diabetes UK; The Dieticians Challenge: the Implementation of Nutritional Advice for People with Diabetes; J Hum Nutr Dietet 16:421-452, 2003.
18. Galloway P, McMillan DC, Sattar N; Effect of the Inflammatory Response on Trace Element and Vitamin Status; Ann Clin Biochem 37:289-297, 2000.
19. Flanigan KH; Nutritional Aspects of Wound Healing; Adv Wound Care 10(2): 48-52, 1997.
20. Corish CA, Flood P, Kennedy NP; Comparison of Nutritional Risk Screening Tools in Patients on Admission to Hospital; J Hum Nutr Dietet 17: 133-139, 2004.
21. Brown SA, Sharpless JL; Osteoporosis: An Underappreciated Complication of Diabetes; Clin Diab 22(1):10-20; 2004.
22. American Diabetes Association Professional Practice Committee and Executive Committee; Evidence-Based Nutrition Principles and Recommendations for the Treatment and Prevention of Diabetes and Related Complications; Diab Care (S1): S50-S60, 2002.